Nagaland: The Government of India on Wednesday declared Nagaland as a ‘disturbed area’ for the next six months under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958. In a notification issued by the Home Ministry of India, it said that the ‘use of armed forces in aid of civil power is necessary.’

“Whereas the Central government is of the opinion that the area comprising the whole of the State of Nagaland is in such a disturbed and dangerous condition that the use of armed forces in the aid of civil power is necessary,” the Ministry said in its release.

“Therefore, in the exercise of the powers conferred by Section 3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (No 28 of 1958) the Central Government hereby declares that whole of the State of Nagaland to be ‘disturbed area’ for a period of six months with effect from 30th December 2020 for the purpose of the said Act,” the notification further said.

On June 30, the Government of India had declared Nagaland as ‘disturbed area’ for a period of six months. The state has been under the AFSPA for almost last six decades. The Act was not withdrawn even after the signing of the framework agreement between National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Isak Muivah) (NSCN-IM) General Secretary Thuingaleng Muivah and government interlocutor RN Ravi in 2015. The agreement was signed in presence of senior leaders including Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi, Hindustan Times reported.

Last month, the GoI had said that talks with the NSCN-IM regarding the final settlement of the decades-long issue with Nagaland are at an advanced stage and the Nagaland state government along with GoI is providing all assistance to the state to deal with rebel groups in the region, the report said.

 

Free Press Kashmir is now on Telegram. Click here to Join.
FPK Android App for 2G. Click here to Download.

Author

Write A Comment